Moving to an independent living community is a huge life decision. Looking for the right place to call home takes time and effort. So where do families and older adults start? Independent living communities vary widely. Most communities will provide you with healthy meals, social activities, housekeeping services, and transportation. But each community has its own unique team, features, and price.
As you consider options, think about your personal needs, wants, and lifestyle. Make a list of your needs and preferences. Read on for a checklist when you are looking for an independent living community!
Community Engagement And Social Activities
Many communities will have a calendar of independent living activities and events for residents. Find out what activities are available and how often they are held.
Think about the following:
- Do the activities seem engaging, fun, or aligned with your interests?
- Are some activities planned by residents?
- Are there any clubs, committees, or religious organizations you want to join?
- Does the activities director consider the residents’ likes when planning activities?
- Are you able to bring family and friends to activities?
- Do the activities change every week?
Explore Dining Options
Most independent living communities provide three meals daily, plus snacks and drinks. Ask to see a sample menu, and think about these questions to learn more about dining options:
- Do they cater to individual dietary needs?
- Are meals served at tables with wait staff or cafeteria-style?
- Is there an on-staff dietician or nutritionist?
- Do they offer vegetarian or vegan options?
- What are the rules for cooking in apartments?
- Can you invite family and friends to meals?
Ask About Housekeeping Services
A maintenance-free lifestyle is a great benefit of independent living. Regular room cleanings, which can include providing fresh linens, vacuuming, dusting, and other services, are common in independent living communities.
You can ask these questions to learn more about the housekeeping and maintenance:
- How often is housekeeping available? Is it included in the monthly rent?
- Which laundry services are included?
- How does lawn maintenance work?
- Is trash pickup from the apartment, or do you have to move the bins to the hall or curb?
Check Out the Amenities
If you are a fitness enthusiast or someone who enjoys weekly games, this is important for you. Most communities offer amenities that suit people from all walks of life. Whether you enjoy swimming laps or salon services, ask about features that matter to you. Some of the common amenities include:
- Fitness center
- Nail salon
- Computer room
- Outdoor garden
- Hot tub or lap pool
- Party, game, or entertainment room
Experience Senior Living At Rittenhouse Village Gahanna
Here at Rittenhouse Village Gahanna, we offer you a retirement community that stands out from the others. Our wonderful senior lifestyle programs, great amenities, and attentive service are here for you. Enjoy delicious, gourmet meals and take part in our wide range of exciting activities. This is where you can enjoy a carefree lifestyle and a more fulfilling way of life. Come experience it for yourself today! Feel free to contact us for more information.