There’s no shame in requiring personal care services as we get older, and doing so can be in the best interests of your elderly loved one, particularly if maintaining personal hygiene is becoming a chore for them. As a family caregiver for your loved one or simply someone who assists them with this important daily routine, always remember to treat your loved one with dignity and respect as they may feel ashamed about needing your help. Below are some personal hygiene and grooming tips to take note of.
Bathing and Showering
Bathing or showering can take up a significant amount of time each day but is critical for keeping clean. Follow these tips below:
- Never pour slippery oils into showers or bubble baths in a bathtub.
- Before commencing the bath or shower, take care to ensure that everything your loved one will need is in place, such as shampoo bottles and towels.
- If possible, remove the lock from the bathroom door. In the case that your loved one falls, you will be able to rush in and offer assistance immediately.
- Install grab bars and handles around the bath or shower as well as place non-slip mats in critical locations.
- When running a bath, ensure that the temperature of the water is to your loved one’s preferences – not too hot or too cold.
- If your loved one only requires supervision as a safety precaution and is uncomfortable about being fully nude in your presence, allow them their privacy while staying close at hand in case they need help.
Grooming and Shaving
Below are some tips for assisting your loved one with grooming their hair and shaving:
- Maintain a hairstyle that’s easy to upkeep.
- If only your loved one’s hair needs to be washed, you may find that doing so in the sink saves a lot of hassle.
- Plucking hairs in certain areas can be easier to assist with than shaving.
- Ensure that your loved one’s fingernails and toenails are trimmed at least twice a month and take note of any issues that can make grooming challenging, such as bunions on the foot.
- Teeth and/or dentures should be brushed at least twice a day – if your loved one can do so independently, encourage them to do so.
Rittenhouse Village At Muhlenberg Is Your Top Choice for Personal Care Services in Reading, PA
If you are looking for a partner in care to provide a long-term living arrangement for your loved one, you have come to the right place at Rittenhouse Village At Muhlenberg. Our compassionate and experienced team members are always on hand to provide our residents with a helping hand and a welcoming smile. With 24/7 nursing care as well as onsite medical services, you can rest assured that your loved one is in safe hands at all times. We welcome you to take a look at our senior living floor plans today and select one that best suits your or your loved one’s needs.