Do you have a loved one who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia? If so, before the condition progresses further, you’ll want to consider memory care communities for their secure environment and professional care. From security personnel to keypad entries, and from purposeful design plans to strategically placed emergency buttons, numerous protocols and technologies are used by memory care communities to prevent injuries, confusion, and wandering among residents. Naturally, each community differs from the next to a point, but many incorporate similar features.
If you’re looking at several different memory care communities for your parent or loved one, here are some of the things you’ll want to watch for and consider.
Community Security Measures
Particularly at the exits and entrances of the building, various security systems are employed to prevent unattended wandering. Important security and safety measures may include the following:
- Systems for video surveillance
- Automated systems for fire prevention
- Exit and entrance doorbells
- Courtyards are enclosed
- Patios are fenced in
- Coded, secured doors
- Gardens are gated
- Keypad entrances for staff and family
Residents and Staff – Emergency Technology
In case of emergencies, 24 hours a day and seven days a week, memory staff care teams are on duty. What’s more, call systems or emergency buttons are equipped in residences.
The following technology may also be used by staff:
- GPS capable emergency bracelets and pendants
- Walkie-talkies or two-way radios
- Specially designed phones that are easier for those in their golden years to use
Dementia/Alzheimer’s Friendly Assistive Features
Memory care communities offer peace of mind to family members while giving comfort and assistance to your loved one. From intentional architecture to calming designs, added assistive measures might include the following:
- In the case of low mobility, adjustable beds
- To alert staff of wandering or falls, motion sensors
- To alleviate sundown syndrome symptoms, soundproof walls
- Windows that are secure and can only be raised several inches
- Secured and coded doors that blend in pleasingly via a painted mural or by some other method
Floor Plans That Are Memory Care Friendly
To reduce wandering and confusion, built-in features are included in easy-to-navigate floor plans where most memory care community custom layouts are involved.
The following thoughtful features may be included in community floor plans for clearer navigation:
- Exits are clearly marked
- Doorways are widened
- Open concept, flowing floor plans
- Color-coded, nonrepetitive hallways
Features for Fall Prevention
To help prevent falls among residents, watch for the following features:
- Special bathroom lighting
- Ambulatory medical equipment such as sit-to-stand lifts
- Non-slip flooring and handrails
- Emergency buttons
Feel Good About the Safety of Your Parents Well-Being with Our Memory Care Community
Our Memory Care Community allows those with cognitive issues to maintain as much of their independence as possible, yet it supplies them with the care and attention they need to live a happy, productive, and healthier life. For them, this is a safe environment. For you, it offers peace of mind. You can finally sleep better at night knowing your loved one is in good hands.
There are several ways to reach us if you’d like to discover more regarding our Memory Care Community. General inquiries can be directed to 219-764-2900. For sales and leasing inquiries regarding our residences, please call 219-207-7185. If you’d like, you can fill out and send in our convenient online form. We’ll get back to you ASAP.
To experience all we have to offer and speak to our team members one-on-one, schedule a tour today. We look forward to meeting you.