Not far from the dune-filled, Southern shores of Lake Michigan is Portage, Indiana, a hard-working city with proud, industrial roots. A one-time hub for the railroad industry, Portage to this day is a key shipping and receiving center and home to U.S. Steel Corporation’s Midwest Plant.
Honest work, however, isn’t all that typifies the lifestyle in and around Portage. In fact, on a clear day, the area’s beautiful, sandy beaches will offer sweeping views of the Chicago skyline. Elsewhere, distinctive dining, ample indoor and outdoor recreation opportunities, and year-round entertainment make Portage one of the anchor cities of “Indiana’s Cool North” region.
Outdoor enthusiasts will especially appreciate the area’s plentiful green and waterfront spaces, which include Ogden Dunes Beach and Lake Michigan’s Southernmost Point, as well as numerous parks, golf courses and recreational areas. And for those looking to venture out for a fun day trip or weekend excursion, it’s mere minutes to Michigan City, Gary, Valparaiso, and just about an hour to both Chicago and South Bend, Indiana, home of the world-famous University of Notre Dame.
From outdoor lovers and cultural connoisseurs to beachgoers and sports fans, the Northwest corner of Indiana has something to satisfy everyone’s appetite. And given its beauty and rich history, extensive recreation options, and the annual events and seasonal festivals that make this region so special, Portage and the surrounding areas provide a great home base for making the most of retirement living.
Senior-Friendly Area Attractions near Portage, IN Include:
Arts & Entertainment
- Chicago Street Theatre (10.4 miles)
- Porter Health Amphitheater (10.5 miles)
- William E. Urschel Pavilion (10.5 miles)
- Porter County Historical Museum (10.6 miles)
- Memorial Opera House (10.7 miles)
- Brauer Museum of Art (12.2 miles)
- GQT Portage 16 IMAX + GDX (1.5 miles)
- Robbinhurst Golf Club & Driving Range (3.2 miles)
- Portage Lakefront & Riverwalk (6.7 miles)
- The Brassie Golf Club (8.1 miles)
- 49er Drive-In Theatre (9.0 miles)
- Marquette Park Beach & Pavilion (9.4 miles)
- Indiana Dunes National Park (12.1 miles)
Shopping & Dining
- Meijer (1.0 mile)
- Walgreens (1.0 mile)
- ALDI (1.5 miles)
- Airport Crossing (1.4 miles)
- Clancy’s Irish Pub (3.3 miles)